Thursday, August 07, 2008

these three words.

so after ranting on about how i want to just simply believe in what i believe in, i'm faced with the most pressing predicament - i don't even know what i believe in anymore. it's silly, really, to not know what i believe in. there were things that i thought were unchanging, but time and age has taught me that i thought wrong. some other things though, they remain exactly the same, and yet not quite the same. it's irritating how everything in life gradually becomes more & more onion-like as i get older, as i start to see layers on layers on layers.


so what do i believe in?

i believe that we choose to stay in love with that one special person. we could always choose to fall in love with two people, three people, four - as many as we want, and it is perfectly possible for us to love many times over the way we thought love was only reserved for that special someone in life. but choosing to just love that one person is a choice, just as choosing to love all those other people is a choice, too.

i believe that as much as i want to stick to my guns all the time and not compromise what i believe in, the world is such that that is quite simply impossible more often than not - so i learn to keep my beliefs to myself and let the beliefs that others are trying to impose on me slide cleanly over my head.

i believe that forgiveness is a choice, just as love is.

i believe that no one was made stupid - but some people are just simply more aware than others of their own mental capabilities. in that same vein of thought, i'm starting to believe in the possibility of my own limitations, that i may not be as clever as i make myself out to be and i may actually just be well, too-normal.

i believe in prayer. even though my prayer life is, at the present moment, in a horrifying state, i still believe in the power of prayer. which then brings me to the next of my beliefs - i believe in God, in an entity beyond this world beyond me and all the other sentient human beings placed on earth.

i believe in a life-purpose, and i believe that mine is somewhere out there, i just can't quite grasp what it is at the moment.

i believe in the potency of absence. when you want to make a statement, you verbalise it and make it known, to get people to listen. i know it, but i also know that you don't always have to create something for it to be significant. sometimes, the absence of something is equally, if not even more, potent - except that far too many people don't realise it but sense the potency of something not being there, and what do they do? they just create more senseless noise to construct the "source" of the effect - but at the end of the day, that is what their creation is - senseless, and just.. noise.

i believe in happy foods. the power of gastronomically pleasing cuisine is very real, and i'm sadly a sucker for such perk-me-ups. there is something very base about eating something that pleases your taste buds, but at the very fundamental level, it works precisely because it's so primal, this pleasure.

i believe in personal space. when i'm alone spending time with me, i get in touch with my inner self, my soul, and i see far beyond my present - ahead to what's before me, and far behind me. i discover what it is that makes me tick and what it is about me that others like or dislike, and decide what to do with all these discoveries. it doesn't make me a more likeable person, at any rate, but it makes me more self-aware and i think it's tremendously important to know yourself for who you are - warts and all, as a friend used to say.

i believe in love, in how it changes people. i believe that being with people who love you in return for who you are makes you feel good about yourself and makes you a much nicer person because you begin to accept yourself for who you are and stop wearing innumerable masks to cover up. it's immensely powerful, and i'm beginning to feel the effects of being loved for who i am change me from the very bowels of me. some part of me still questions and wonders why, but a large part of me just embraces that and... boy, it feels good.

i believe in so many other things, you have absolutely no idea.





these three words are said too much,
they're not enough.

No comments: