Saturday, October 22, 2011

Songs they sung as they walked...

"The Road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way.
Where many paths and errands meet;
And whither then? I cannot say."

Satisfaction is a flighty thing.
Everyone gleans and perceives it differently; travels down different roads to get there.
Me? My path is about to fork; I can feel it. Yet, I do not know which path I should take. The path well-trodden, or the hidden path? Safety and surety are values that I cannot pretend I don't care about. But remaining ensconced in certitude, floating in the balmy waters of Comfort, is something I cannot luxuriate in if I want to fly.

I guess I can dream, dream the biggest of dreams, and then just see where that will all take me.
Back to the gritty reality of humdrum? Or to someplace else just as gritty?
I'm under no illusion that the grass is greener on the other side - that has been dispelled many times over and I'm no longer wide-eyed and brimming with optimism at the vastness of the future. No; I know that the horizon is always bounded by chains, there is nothing I can humanly do to transcend the bounds of my own limits.
What I wonder at though, is what are my limits?
Am I there? Or can I still be stretched til my nose touches the glass?

No one knows. I don't even know myself. But what I know is that I will never find out if I don't try.
The hardest thing to do is to take the plunge into the icy waters of the calm surface, take that first step away from the straight path before me.

And still, there must be faith and trust.


"Still round the corner there may wait,
A new road or a secret gate.
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way,
And take the hidden paths that run,
Towards the Moon or to the Sun."

The Lord of the Rings

No comments: