Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How did this turn out so ugly?

Weddings. They're always supposed to be in celebration of a happy union of a couple, but why do they inevitably end up ugly in the midst of the planning? Everyone wants things to go their way - and if it doesn't, they resort to threats, angry words, and emotional blackmail.

The people I thought least capable of descending to this sort of behaviour were my own parents.
Yet here I am, fighting many battles but feeling like I'm losing the war.
Tradition is something I admit I have not been the best at adhering to. So I would be the first to admit that it is usually the first thing I overlook, the first thing I belittle. So when my parents point it out, I begrudgingly admit my failure to recognize, and I concede.

But all that aside, they've been giving me a very hard time.
I haven't felt so disappointed and so utterly alone in such a long time.
How ironic it is that the closer I get to the wedding, the more miserable I feel.
 
Not looking forward to it? Don't come.
Afraid that you'll lose face? Go hide somewhere.
Wonder what the old folks will say? Go join them.
 
Just last night, the mother wanted to try to force me to remove some of my wedding pictures from the album.
"Kissing pictures should be censored!!!"
Seriously, if one cannot kiss during one's own wedding, then... whatthefuck?!
I gave in to my parents over the traditional stuff already. Fine.
Now she wants to try to influence the other aspects as well? No way in hell.
 
Alright alright, I'm trying not to degenerate into juvenile ranting of immense angst here.
But fact is that I'm hugely overwhelmed by too many dark thoughts at this point in time.
I wish 19 Nov would hurry up and come, cos I'm not enjoying the planning process at all. :'(
 
"Family quarrels are bitter things. They don't go by any rules. They're nto like aches or wounds; they're more like splits in the skin that won't heal because there's not enough material."
F. Scott Fitzgerald

No comments: