Friday, September 24, 2010

The glory and the freshness of a dream:

It is not now as it hath been of yore;—
        Turn wheresoe'er I may,
            By night or day,
The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

So said the wise William Wordsworth in his poem "Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood". A poem I dug out again in my attempt to piece my thesis together.

The world does seem rosier when I was younger, and I did feel that much closer to immortality then than now. I still do feel invincible, feel as if I'll never die, but I must admit that working on my topic of choice for my thesis has made me think about death and dying a great deal more than before I began. Everlasting life, I know all-too-well, is a myth. Everything becomes a lot more precious when you think about Life in that framework.

Ugh I hate how I've been writing lately. I looked through my blog posts from 2 years back and compare those to the crap I'm writing now, and I'm really sad :(

So much for having matured in my writing/thinking. I only feel all the more boxed in with the passing of years/gaining of experience. Pfft.

No comments: