Friday, February 11, 2011

Obliquity or Way-Off?

It's two more weeks until I begin at my new job, and I'm simultaneously excited and anxious in the meanwhile. I'm wondering if I made the right decision to jump at this job offer, wondering if I should have held out for position I'd initially wanted, wondering if I should not just heck it all and just go and be an SQ girl. So many dreams I've had as I was growing up, and none of them are any closer to becoming reality.

Of course, I'm so grateful for being offered a job (and the process of getting it wasn't entirely pain-free either, mind you!). I know this job's gonna be most importantly, stable - so I'm not gonna find myself starving and scrambling to find another job 6 months down. I know that with my salary, it'd make things a lot easier for Clem and I both, savings-wise, and we'd be comfortable always - never hungry for sure. I also know that I wouldn't be unhappy at my job, because it's somewhat similar to what I'd wanted.

I'm thinking maybe I should seriously go get Obliquity: Why Our Goals Are Best Achieved Indirectly by John Kay for myself to read, only because I feel like I'm not exactly addressing my Goals straight-on and this may be precisely what I'm doing: attempting to get what I want indirectly. And of course, you'd ask: What do I want? And my answer would be indirect because all I want is to live a good life - good being subjective on so many counts that it would be impossible to specify. I hope I'm not just hoping for some sort of consolation from a self-help book to make me feel better about being worried about the rightness of my decision.

Time to stop moping and start attacking my room again. I'm determined to get it into some sort of habitable condition before I begin work in two weeks' time. There's still a long way to go yet! And clearing my wardrobe for the second time in six months isn't something I'm looking forward to at all. :/

2 comments:

Trina Tay said...

Hey Kel,

I'm sooo excited for you now that you're really gonna start work soon! :) Ooh my bff is permanently joining the work force, n I can only feel nth but pride at that. After all, we did grow up together!

Yup, as I'd said, my only wish for you (and Clem) is happiness :) N go grab the book if you need it!

N all the best with your room. Call me if you get bored. I should be home most of the time, now that the exams are really just round the corner for me.

Kelly said...

Thanks Tri :)
I've been sick btw, sleeping a lot in my bid to kill the sneaky flu bugger.

Hope your revision's going well dear.