Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Literature & Life #1: To Live

For memory's sake,
especially since there's just too much going on for me to keep proper track of things:

I should be reading a lot more than I have been;
the world's vaster than my desk at work, my bed at home and my upcoming wedding combined.
So I have a new resolution: I shall read one book off TIME's list every fortnight.

Last night while sitting on the swing, Clem and I were discussing about how the society we are a part of inhibits fullness of being, clips the wings of our imagination, sucks us dry. We are myopic, flat, uninspired, tepid - too focused on what we stand to gain from our successes than in how these experiences have enriched us and added another facet to our lives. Pragmatism is the disease of our society, the cancer that leaves us so empty with no space to dream and pursue those same dreams. There's no place for romance, no space for doing things solely for the heady rush of doing them, no time to savour each moment. I'm not saying these don't exist, but they're rare and sparse among us who are bogged down by neccessities.

This might perhaps illustrate my analogy above a little better:
I see myself as a raw gemstone, with every experience big or small, significant or seemingly insignificant, adding another facet to me. Adding to my brilliance, changing the way I reflect and appear to others, changing the way I am made up, changing who I am. In that same vein, all the arts should function that way on top of their entertainment value.

So in short, books feed my soul, are a means for me to experience the larger world outside my current circumstance, shape me. Some people have their music, others have their art, theatre or dance. I have my literary pursuits, for a lack of a better word. Reading, writing, reading, and then writing again - all in the attempt to add on layer upon layer of vicarious experience and ideas onto myself.

Travelling, too.
But I tell myself there's a time for that, there will be a time for that, though that time is not now.
(Can't possibly be travelling to one new destination a week - much as I would love to - , can I?)
So many financial responsibilities, so little time, and just one of me.


Some Instagrams that sometimes seem more accurate in their filtered distortions than real life itself.
After all, perception and life as a whole, is a lot more subjective than we'd like to admit.


  


In a (poor) attempt at captioning:
Dusk and night sky, twilight interstitiality, pop colours, sameness/difference, glass half full.

No comments: