Friday, March 05, 2010

Be Italian!

Clem and I went to watch Nine last night on a complete whim, and boy was it good! Who cares about the bad reviews it received (I went online to check how critics rated it and I found mostly 6-7 stars out of 10 ratings) - I was thoroughly entertained. And I think shows like these always make me fall in love with Europe all over again, based on a representation I receive through the silver screen. Kinda silly, but happens too often with me.




I like this version of the movie poster particularly, cos it's pretty much telling of the text-within-a-text (screen-within-a-screen, if you want to nitpick) kinda thing going on.

When I watched Paris 36, I wanted to go to Paris so badly, experience some of that romantic atmosphere that everyone raves about - and I am in June, now!
When I watched Vicki Cristina Barcelona, I was totally taken in by the city of Barcelona - and I also find myself planning to go there while in Europe in June.
Now, after watching Nine, I find myself wanting to go to Milan or someplace or other in Italy.

I am weak-willed and easily swayed, it seems. Heh.



But Nine was, for me, all kinds of wonderful, Partly cos of the exuberant song and dance routines (okay granted, the songs weren't the best, but I'm a sucker for glamour which the show was filled to the brim with, with postcard-like shots throughout the movie).







And I loved the ending, which I will not divulge here cos I don't want to spoil the ending for those who still intend to catch the show but haven't yet. But go soon though, cos it's run is ending already!! Only the weird times left on weekends (early evening), and it's only shown in the smaller theatres now, not the full-sized ones.

Be Italian
Take a chance & try to steal a fiery kiss.
Be Italian,
When you hold me don't just hold me but hold this.

Please be gentle, sentimental.
Go ahead & try to give my cheek a pat.
But be daring, & uncaring
When you try to pinch me try to pinch me where there's fat!


Be a singer
Be a lover
Pick the flower now before the chance is past


Be Italian
Be Italian
Live today as if it may become your last!


No comments: