Saturday, March 06, 2010

Postponing my thoughts on Sacrifice & Alice

Today's talk about sacrifice and suffering by Fr Luke was a really good reminder about my self-absorption lately. When was the last time I sacrificed something, denied myself anything? (other than sleep, which I deprive myself of on a daily routine nowadays, but that's cos I'm trying to get something else which I prize even more than sleep, so I suppose this doesn't count) It's not about the sacrifice per se, it's about dying to myself more each day as I struggle to be less about me and more about God. More about that some other time, cos it's so late already, and I do still have so much to say on that.

To sidetrack a little before I go... I think my Lenten penance of not shopping is not working. :(
I've just bought myself a new top from Hollyhoque, 2 rompers from Catwalkclose, and am about to pay for 2 new bags from Tianfenlan. All in one day.

UGH WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME???

Stop shopping seriously. I need to save for my Europe trip in May/June. Like seriously. I'm going to swear off blogshopping, forever. And give more tuition, perhaps. Sigh. I need to make money. And it's not as if I have so much time on my hands, either. I'm still trying my best to be a relatively good student instead of an all-star shitty one. For eg: I have no clue about what's going in my Pynchon class, I have skipped 5 consecutive Advertising lectures, and have a stinking feeling I did badly for my Utopias test. I'm very sadly average for my PR module after the recent mid-term 1 (wth is up with these mid-term that comes in 2 parts?! >:(((

The only bright side to all of this is that I seem to have topped my class in the recent Advertising mid-term, with 18.4/20. Highest mark is - guess what - 18.4. Mwahahahahahaha!
But that is the only thing I think I'll be able to gloat over this semester. And not forgetting, that it was an MCQ test. But still, having the highest marks in a class of 140 is a pretty awesome feeling. :D:D I shall bask in my happiness for a while (which I feel I don't really fully deserve, but heck, beggars can't be choosers at this point right, so I should take whatever good performances with two happy hands and be very very grateful, which I really am) before I tackle my readings for the weekend. Ben chmarks for the weekend are to complete 1984 so that I can start planning for my comparison Utopias essay, read my two e-campaigning articles so I can start on the intro of that report, start crapping something that even remotely resembles a piece of art up for David Teh's yoyo-ing exercise, and try to start on Vineland. I have given Gravity's Rainbow up for dead at this point, cos I no longer even enjoy trying to read it.

And, I shall talk about my thoughts on Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland in my next post or so, which I caught in 3D tonight with Clem. I have a lot to say about Alice cos I loved the book when I read it for the 19th c module under Susan Ang (her enthusiasm for the book is really infectious, as you can tell)..

Okay time to go to bed, I have tuition tomorrow morning before I go to meet Rita (!!!!) and the exchange gang to show her around before she leaves.

No comments: